Colac Victoria Australia

Trinity College - Colac

History

Home > About Us > History

In 1888, the Sisters of Mercy opened a school in Calvert St, Colac. From this emerged St Joseph's College, which provided secondary education from Years 7 to 12 for girls and boys until 1967.

After tirelessly raising funds and purchasing land since 1957, Monsignor J H Gleeson and the Christian Brothers opened the Pound Rd campus of Trinity College Colac in 1967. It was then a secondary school for boys from Years 7 to 10.

As St Joseph's College on the Calvert Street grew, its secondary students were tranferred to a new building in Trinity College Colac in 1976, while Father Coley McKenzie was parish priest.

In 1979, at the request of the new parish priest of Colac, Father John Martin, and with the approval of the Bishop of Ballarat, Most Rev. Ronald Mulkearns, the Sisters of Mercy and the Christian Brothers  amalgamated St Joseph's and Trinity Colleges. Between 1979 and 1982 the school was called St Joseph's-Trinity College and both of the original crests and sets of colours were maintained.

From 1983 onwards, the single title Trinity College was adopted along with a new crest, based on the original St Joseph's crest. The new colours of red and blue, embodied one from each of the previous combinations of red and black (Trinity College) and blue and gold (St Joseph's).

The school buildings are named to remember the history of Trinity and members of its community:

St Joseph's Wing (after the original secondary school) incorporates the computer facilities and the Paatsch Library (after long-serving librarian, Mrs Helen Paatsch, and her late husband Frank) which contains the library, audio-visual store and careers room.

Rice Wing (after Blessed Edmund Rice, Founder of the Christian Brothers) incorporating the Barrett Science Rooms (after Br Clem Barrett, our longest serving Principal) which contains classrooms and the specialist science rooms.

McAuley Wing (after Catherine McAuley, Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy) contains Middle School classrooms and amenities, including a canteen and cafeteria.

Stewart Wing (after Br Ron Stewart, a long serving principal) incorporates art, visual communication and design, wood and textiles facilities, the Flynn Music Room (after the Flynn Family) and the Uniform shop.

Tuck Wing (after Br Kevin Tuck, the first principal of Trinity) was one of the orignal buildings on the site. It was firstly a residence for the Christian Brothers until it was used as an administration centre and then for student learning. In 2013 it was demolished and replaced with a new building containing classrooms, staff offices and a wellbeing area.

Robinson Activity Centre (after Br J C Robinson) includes the foyer, gymnasium and sports stores.

Lavery DC&T Food Room (after Mrs Ailin Lavery, the initial office secretary and long time College supporter) contains the DC&T Food centre.

Mercy Wing (after Sisters of Mercy) Year 7 classrooms and facilities.

Gleeson Administration Centre (after Monsignor John Harold Gleeson, a founder of Trinity College) contains the administration offices, staff areas and sick bay.

The College Houses, in recognition of the founding traditions, bear the names of:
MCAULEY (Blue); GLEESON (Gold), and; RICE (Red).